Why I Trust Him

Matthew 7:9-11 Which of you, if his son asks for bread would give him a stone, or if he asks for a fish will give him a snake. If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in Heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Happy Holidays?

The happy pill has been taken and since analyzing the situation yesterday, I have been doing a better job of remembering that growing kids up is a marathon, not a sprint.  I am taking it one joy or trial at a time.  At least today I am remembering these things. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The holiday traveling did go pretty well.  Tot had some issues but he seriously was not feeling well. I watched as all the family handed gifts to all of my children and at one point I teared up.  Seeing them loved on by those who did not sign up for this journey blesses me immensely.

Tyke did begin to have a lot of issues regarding food.  Everywhere we went there was a ton of food just laying out.  Since the boys' arrival I have taken to filling plates at the counter with maybe just slightly more than what they need, so I know they have plenty.  They just do not do well with too much food available.  Eating and snacking buffet style was a trigger for Tyke.  He kept asking for food.  We tried to comply as often as was safe, because it was a special occasion, but Tyke got worse and worse.   He would eat whatever item he was given as quickly as possible and say he needed more.  He only wanted to stay in the kitchens and every other part of the celebrations was unimportant to him.  His tummy gets rock hard when he is full.  I noticed that happening more than once as loving family members gave him what he wanted.  At one point he puked.   I finally had to get really strict about food.  No one was allowed to give him anything except Ryan or myself and begging for food once he was told no landed him in timeout. 

When we decided to adopt we never imagined these types of things.  You imagine bringing a child home and giving them everything they are so desperately missing in their lives.  You don't imagine having to restrict food.  You don't imagine them tackling one another to steal gifts.  Having to be the Christmas Ogre is no fun for anyone, but its a training thing. 

I have decided that we are going to practice opening presents appropriately.  I am going to get things from their room and wrap them up.  I am going to teach them to be excited and thankful.  My girlfriend did that this year with the 3 she has adopted.  She said it felt strange telling them to say thank you in a happy voice, but she had to remember that they hadn't ever had the chance to learn by seeing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio-Mom got the boys gifts.  She bought everything 2 - 3 sizes too large and the Baby could not even wear his outfit at all.  They put Baby's clothes on Tot whom it was too big for as well.  She asked for their sizes through the visit supervisor and I sent them.  I am not sure what the majorly oversized thing was about.  I can see her maybe purchasing one size up if she likes the baggy look or if she just wants them to be able to wear the items for a long time, but 3 sizes too big?

We have only had one visit this week so far.  She wanted to schedule another today, but the weather is not permitting visitation.  We are aiming for Saturday instead.  I am going to try and push that the 2 visits a week become very, very, spread out.  I want the boys to have a chance to recover while all this insanity continues. 


1 comment: