Why I Trust Him

Matthew 7:9-11 Which of you, if his son asks for bread would give him a stone, or if he asks for a fish will give him a snake. If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in Heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Monday, April 30, 2012

A Glimpse of the Other Side

Today, Baby had to get tubes in his ears.  Bio-Mom was invited to show, but I really didn't expect her to be there at 6am.  I was surprised to see her as I came through the surgery center's doors.  It was just Bio-Mom, me, and Baby.

Strangely , I was comfortable.  I can put myself at ease in most any situation, but I never thought I would feel at ease with her. We talked about their funny behaviors and I showed her pictures and videos from my phone of the boys dancing around and having fun.  I watched her with Baby.  She loves him.  We talked about the boys.  She loves them.  She did not get all syrupy and dripping with love language.  It was a Mom to Mom knowing.  This woman loves her kids. 

As we neared the end of everything I asked her who was picking her up.   I saw a flash of utter pain cross her face.   She had no one.  My heart broke.  This Baby Girl is hurt andhas hurt her babies, because she was hurt first.  I heard my mouth offer to drive her home.  "What am I thinking?" I wondered.  She accepted the ride and it was pleasant enough.  She sounded only 13ish when she told me with pride that she'd put the baby to sleep for me.

I neared her home and yet again I heard myself tell her I was praying for her.  As I watched her walk alone to the door of her apartment I couldn't help but tear up.  "God, what is THIS?" I whispered.  "What now?" I prayed. 

I only heard, "Pray."

How can someone who loves their kids hurt them like she has hurt them?  My mind is having a hard time lining up love and abuse, but I can see it exists.  I can see it in her.  Every Mom knows her own dark place.  Every Mom gets desperate and angry and tired. Every Mom makes mistakes raising her children. What would I do if I had no money, no job, and no education?  What would I do if I had no one to turn to?  What would I do if a life of pain was all I had ever known?

I know I want the boys to stay.  I know I don't want them to be further abused, but I am glad its not up to me.

I don't want to worry about her.  She is 20.  The damage is done.  Her story is written... or is it?  I know that Christ wants to redeem her life.  He wants to set her free.  I don't know what the final story will be for her or for these boys.  She does not deserve to have them back.  She will probably hurt them again, but who am I to say what the Lord may have in store for her life? 

I will do as the Holy Spirit instructed me.  I will pray.  Its all I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment