Why I Trust Him

Matthew 7:9-11 Which of you, if his son asks for bread would give him a stone, or if he asks for a fish will give him a snake. If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in Heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Monday, April 2, 2012

Parents need "Redo's"



I have noticed that when bad behaviors start they have a tendency to escalate.  They have a tendency to "take over" the person who displays a bad behavior.  Until all of the sudden the grouchy moment, becomes a grouchy day, and then it becomes a grouchy weekend.  I see this in my kids all the time, and I see it clearly in myself.  When my children screw up  I sometimes offer my children the chance to redo a bad behavior in the hopes that by redoing the behavior properly they will begin to develop better behavior.  I also just want to arrest that moment to keep the cycle from continuing.  Well, after some really stressed out moments over the weekend I was feeling like maybe I needed to be able to use "redo's" myself.

I kind of decided loosely to allow myself these moments. It may not mean anything to my children, but it is a huge thing for me to swallow my pride and go back and redo a yucky moment.  When I screw up and I know it, I am going to go back to my kiddos and complete a "redo" to the best of my ability.

Case in point... Tyke did not want to nap, he was being difficult, I was getting inappropriately grouchy with him.  I left the room, came back in and "redid" my nap time voice and mannerisms.  We did nap time and Tyke's last interaction before drifting off to sleep was Mommy Manda  behaving well, not immaturely.

Yes, I love the Lord.  Yes, I am a foster mom.  Yes, I asked for this gig.  Still, I am not going to lie and pretend like that means I have it all figured out.  I am not a better Christian than most.  I am selfish.  I am immature.  I am a giant grouch sometimes.   I have to deal with myself in prayer, over, and over, and over again.  Yes, I pray for my family, but more and more I pray for me.  I am not asking the Lord to calm me down, or just give me some peace for today, I am asking him to go in and remove those parts of me that don't bring him glory.  I don't want to push them under the rug anymore I want purified.  When you purify something the impurities get removed.  They don't stay a part of the purified object.  My heart needs purification to continue to walk this path in a way that will bring Him the most glory.  Tonight I am begging the Lord "Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." Psalm 51:10

1 comment: