Why I Trust Him

Matthew 7:9-11 Which of you, if his son asks for bread would give him a stone, or if he asks for a fish will give him a snake. If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in Heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Visit and a Revelation

Yes, there was a visit today. I did not want that to happen, but the boys are doing fine, so I am fine.  Tot decided he would test my authority very quickly upon his return.  I tried to reason with him.  He was not feeling reasonable, so I scooped him up and put him in his room until lunch was ready.   He screamed in there for a good long while.  Until he heard me mention (rather loudly) to his brother that I hoped Tot could stop screaming soon, so I could bring him down for lunch.  The room got quiet rather quickly.

Baby also decided he would follow me around screaming.  This is Baby's new thing when I cook.  He follows me around crying trying to get picked up.  He is growing into his brothers' screams.  They are loud and piercing and peace-rattling.  I tried to redirect, to talk to him, to tell him, "no," but he just kept on, so I scooped him up and let him scream in his crib until lunch was ready. I sang loudly to myself over the 2 screamers, "IT IS WELL, IT IS WELL, WITH MY SOUL!"

 I am still praying for God to move in this situation, but I am at peace.  I pray daily for God's will to be done here and I believe it will be.  I have always believed God's will would be done, I just wasn't sure if his will and mine matched up.  A lot of my strong feelings have come from the fears of my own pain.  I am afraid of how much it will hurt to lose them.  I am afraid of what their life will be like.  I am afraid, that God's will could cause me loss and pain and grief.  God is teaching me what truly accepting his will should look like.

 I expect my children to trust my wisdom.  When I tell them it is time for bed I expect them to go to bed without attitude.  As the authority figure, I am worthy of their respect and compliance.  I absolutely think it is ridiculous for Liv to cry and pout and feel unloved and unwanted because I am doing what is best for her.  I know she needs sleep.  I know her day and her life will be better if she is well rested.  Discipline often follows failing to obey with a good attitude.  Even though I expect my children to obey me and trust me and choose joy over throwing a fit, I have been reserving my right to throw a fit if God decides to take my babies.  I have just been harboring a resolve not to be okay if they leave.

I would NEVER allow my children to behave this way!  My Heavenly Father is so much more patient than I.  I can't believe he puts up with me sometimes.  Today I am resolving to mold myself to His will.  I am going to keep praying for the boys well-being and for the Lord's will to be done.  I am dumping my right to be too damaged for His further use. 

I pray Lord, use me how you would use me.  If I get to be a forever-Mom to these boys, that sounds like a great plan to me, but more than anything I want your will.  You see the whole story and I only see my right-nows.  If you have an alternative plan for how I will serve your kingdom let me be willing and open to that.  Just as I expect my children to trust me and obey me without fight, I pray that you will help me to develop the same childlike trust and obedience for your authority in my life.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. We are living parallel lives in this universe. I'm sure of it. When Miss M did the follow me around crying during dinner making thing sometimes it helped to sit her at the table with some crayons and paper, I think she just wanted to see what I was doing but I don't like having kids in the kitchen because it is too unsafe! She doesn't do it anymore thankfully, she has discovered playing with her brothers is way more fun. :)

    ReplyDelete