Why I Trust Him

Matthew 7:9-11 Which of you, if his son asks for bread would give him a stone, or if he asks for a fish will give him a snake. If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in Heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Package Deal


Why in the world does it have to be so hard to try and do anything with toddlers! The screaming and fit throwing and hitting and button pushing are just too much.
 I want to be able to experience life with these boys and it seems all I get to do is protect everyone from them, or I protect them from themselves.

I want to take them out and about but everything is going to be a power struggle, intermixed with food anxieties, and acting out little portions of past abuses.

It is difficult to be in this place.  I hear the cries of the forgotten who want a family of their own.  I want to be there and make the big difference, but on many days I know that this job is kicking my butt.

The SELFLESSNESS that is required to do this work does not come gift wrapped when these children walk into our homes.  The soul searching, and prayer, and desperation that come with this lifestyle don't even guarantee the selflessness a parent will need to foster and adopt these children. 

I pray and pray and pray, and I still struggle with an anger I can feel to my fingertips when one of the children abuses another of the children.  I pray for God to help them sleep, I pray for God to help them be kind, I pray for God to help them heal, and I pray over and over and over again for God to change me.  

I feel there is very little support for the reality of parenting multiple troubled children.  Most of us come into this having been through some of our own traumas.  We know what it is to experience pain as a child and it gives us a heart for children.  But I am learning, THAT feeling  is NOT enough.  Having a heart for these children is nothing more than a good place to start.


We take sibling groups into our homes and we are not prepared.  We do not know what to do when they scream ferociously and others need to rest.  We do not know what to do when they are destructive to property and others feel threatened.  We do not know what to do when they are hurting and abusing other family members and others feel insecure.  We do not know how to uphold the well-being of the family unit and still give hurting children our zeroed in focus.  I know what we are not supposed to do.  We are not supposed to yell, or spank, or scare, or send children to their rooms and that's fine, but how do I look after everyone while still giving everything I can to every hurting child in my home? 

I read advice books from people that don't seem to get riled up.  They stay calm and in control.  How do I do that when my daughter's person has just been violated?  How do I do that when Baby has been assaulted for no reason other than that Tot felt like hitting him in the head with a tractor?  My Momma Bear instinct is strong.  Here's the advice I need... How in the heck do you keep from getting riled up when you see a little child get hurt?! 

 I saw a DVD the other day where the therapist shared how she successfully helped a child get over her fit about having another snack when it wasn't snack time.  In this instance she helped her overcome her fear about food  She admitted she spent 15 minutes with that girl on that single issue.  15 MINUTES!!! Seriously, I cannot spend 15 minutes with one screaming child.  The others will start in just because I am giving my attention to a screamer.  In a single 15 minute time span, I handle a shoving match, a food fit, a dangerous style of play, a child attempting to dart outside, and a choking hazard.  I can't sit down and rock someone gently for 15 minutes and chat.  Where is the advice book or dvd for parents like me?!

In the world of foster care sibling groups are normal, advice for the balancing act that comes with having extremely troubled sibling groups is NOT.


3 comments:

  1. I hear you completely. We had a sibling set of two boys, ages 10 and 2.5, adding to our own 4 and 6 year old boys at the time, and I felt just what you're feeling. I don't know the answer to your questions. We were an emergency shelter home for those two for a month, and after that month, we requested only one foster child...a baby...because of exactly those reasons you mention. How can I comfort and give 15 minutes attention to a 2.5 year old, when my 4 or 6 year old or the baby are screaming because that 2.5 year old just hit them with a toy? Is it fair to the others to abandon them when they've been violated? Shouldn't THEY be the ones getting the attention? If you ever find an answer, I'd be interested... It was a long month, having those two boys, and our family learned that in order to be good and protective parents to our own bio kids, we needed to take one foster child at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. I meant 10 months, not age 10.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think we'd have made it this far without being able to send kids to their room. I'm serious. I would be completely deaf by now if I had to listen to the decibels that my kids (especially C) put out on a regular basis and could not remove them from the situation. Plus when they are escalated and lashing out or hitting other kids...yeah, they need their rooms. I agree about the being unprepared part...I'm still trying to figure stuff out but when they first moved in I spent hours on the internet trying to figure stuff out, talked with our older foster son's therapist and emailed anybody and everybody involved in the case telling them what was going on and asking for help. I didn't really get any ("he is too young for therapy!") but speaking with the therapist did help, even though she didn't actually get to see C.

    ReplyDelete