Why I Trust Him

Matthew 7:9-11 Which of you, if his son asks for bread would give him a stone, or if he asks for a fish will give him a snake. If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in Heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Better

I am so thankful for good weather so the kids can go out and play.  We broke the cycle of me trying to get something done followed by one of the kids (usually Tot) coming to me crying mad about something. At the start of the day yesterday I feared I was in for more of the same.  I had tried playing in the garage with them, but that wasn't helping enough. 

Then sunshine and warmer temps kicked in and the kids spent hours yesterday, jumping, rolling, climbing, and just all around happy.  Even Mister Tot was grinning and running.  He's such a happy boy in open spaces.  Yesterday was a nice reprieve from the cabin fever that was setting in.

There are a few developments important around here.

  First, Liv lost both of her front teeth yesterday.  There was a Cy/Liv collision involving jumping and fists.  Cy didn't intend to harm Liv.  They were playing all happy and bouncy and to put it in Cy's words, "My fist went in her mouth and her teeth kinda went all sideways."  There was blood and crying (the teeth were loose anyway), but since my daughter has strong feelings about things and she completely absolved her brother I am certain there were no intentions to harm that I missed in the interchange.  My girl is happy and $2 richer!


Second, Cy and Ryan had their birthday!  Ryan and I had decided that birthdays needed to become small family affairs now.  The last few parties I tried to plan were stress-filled for all of us. When my kids are grown I don't want them to remember me running around trying to make everything perfect for our guests and shooing them off to do other things.  I want them to remember their birthdays as a time when their parents and siblings made a big deal about them... not the party.  Celebrations now involve, your choice of restaurant, your favorite desert, and a small gift from every member of the family.  If we had our extended family nearby I would include them, but we don't so this is what works for us.

It really turned out well.  The nice weather put everyone in a good mood.  Ryan had his day to choose a restaurant already, so Cy chose our local Chinese all-you-can-eat buffet.  He was shoving in egg rolls and grinning from ear to ear.  My favorite line at the restaurant was when it was getting time to leave.  Cy said, "But I don't think I've had all I can eat yet."  That's my Cy.  "All you can eat" is a challenge.

 It wasn't too hard to get him to let go since there was a favorite desert at home.  We got home and every person handed out their gifts to Daddy and Cy.  Even Baby toddled over and handed a gift to Daddy and a gift to Cy. We sang the birthday song and had our choice of TWO deserts.  A pumpkin pie with a big number 9 candle in the center and one candle-free Chocolate Cherry Cake (Ryan prefers no blowing/spitting to happen over his desert choice).  Then we all just hung out and were silly together.  Ryan didn't leave to get anything done and neither did I.  If I had to compare it to the Disney World birthday complete with dining in the castle with princesses I would say this was just as good.  Maybe... Better.

No comments:

Post a Comment