Why I Trust Him

Matthew 7:9-11 Which of you, if his son asks for bread would give him a stone, or if he asks for a fish will give him a snake. If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in Heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Court Today

The boys' B.M had court today.  Ryan took off work so we could  both be present.  It is no fun waiting for someone to remember the foster parents may want to know how things went.

The caseworker was absent due to her Father's death.  There was a fill-in.  I was surprised when the DC$ attorney asked for a 90 day sentence for B.M's failure to follow the court ordered protocol for reunification.  They mentioned failed drug tests, they mentioned lack of attending visits, they mentioned failure to participate in parent training, etc.  When the judge asked for documentation no one, NO ONE had brought the actual paperwork  to back up their claims.  Even the advocate, whom I truly like, said he had the documentation on his computer in his office.

B.M. was ready for a fight today.  She waved her hands around and came off cocky like someone was trying to steal her kids.  The advocate did well to point out all the failed drug tests.  At least he had submitted a report.  B.M. did not deny failing the drug tests she actually said, "I have  made it to ALL my drug testing since the last court date."  She also tried to claim she had made it to all the visits.  Just not true, but without the caseworker there no one had the information at had to refute her statement.

The judge then asked her if she had a drug problem.  No.  He asked her if she loved her kids.  Yes.  He asked her if she wanted them back.  Yes.  

Judge set another court date to follow up on the allegations of failed drug tests etc.  Now we wait until July for the next go-round.  He set the next permanency hearing for early in December.  We will have had the boys 10 and 1/2 months at that time.  Craziness. I would not want to be that judge.  If you come without evidence you are wasting his time!  Do they not think of these things?!

After that we headed home and I was ranting to my husband about how fragile the whole thing is and about how it is going to take a miracle for these boys to be free from the abuse they suffered.  The worst allegations cannot be substantiated.  All we have are the words of a 2 year old, so they will not be bringing that up in court.  Ryan was not surprised.  It's why he cannot bond as I have.  Chances are they will be returned to the mess they came from.  He let me rant, he's a nice man. 

Tonight the boys are at a visit.  B.M. was all worked up when she called to confirm.  The visit worker said B.M. left a message saying, " you better bring my kids to the visit!"  I helped load the boys.  I did not make sure they napped today.  I gave them 2 big fluffy marshmallows a little bit before they left.  Not nice of me, but I am frustrated and I will be honest.  I don't want her having a lovely visit.  After they left I just cried on my hub's shoulder a little bit.  I hate visits.  I really, really hate them.

I wonder if they will file for termination in October as was indicated or if they will just wait until December.  In some ways the long wait until December is nice.  I will get to hang on to my boys and love them that much longer and for that I am thankful.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm sorry to say that our court experiences have been similar to yours...the kids are definitely not the center of the circus there. Nobody seems competent and everybody seems eager to push things off to another day. We are in month 19 of a case that has run the gamut from likely reunification to likely adoption and back again, with various worker changes and no end in sight. And our foster daughter was removed at age 6 months. I'm amazed at folks like you who stay in this system. We have seen enough and hope to help some other way once we know what happens to our daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very hard to understand why anyone would show up before a judge without evidence! How frustrating, and yet this is unfortunately, par for the foster care course.

    ReplyDelete