Why I Trust Him

Matthew 7:9-11 Which of you, if his son asks for bread would give him a stone, or if he asks for a fish will give him a snake. If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in Heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Chasing the Carrot

I get this idea that I need to step it up and improve my parenting skills.  The accusing voice immediately comes up with 10 things I should be doing.  I lunge for that carrot.  I run and run and run and fail.  Usually this fail is great big compared to all the things I am trying to "fix."

I question God.  I believe the voice that says, "YOU are your children's biggest problem."  I start to feel hopeless and pointless and angry and sad.  I begin to despair.

The next part is my favorite part.  A messenger comes.  They remind me not to listen to the accuser.  They remind me that God does the work in them and in me.  It is not by our works that we are saved.

God sent the messenger sooner in this cycle.  I mean literally in day 1.  I am so grateful for all that I am NOT going to go through this time around.

I am learning something...  The carrot is a lie.  I am never going to look like the image of mothering perfection I hold in my mind.  My children won't ever measure up to any kind of perfection either.

We all need to do ourselves a favor and ignore the carrot.  That race is rigged and I will only hurt myself and my family trying to measure up to my vain imaginings.  My race is my own and the my instructions are to keep moving and keep my eyes on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment